The Australian government offers a variety of visas for family members of Australian citizens, or permanent residents to live in Australia, work and study. Each visa has its own specific requirements and benefits. In most cases a sibling who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident does not provide an eligible basis for this visa.

Partner Visa (Subclass 820 and 801)

This visa allows the spouse or common law partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident to live in Australia. This visa allows you to live, work, study in Australia as well as enrol in Medicare, Australia’s healthcare system. You children can be included in this visa. Later you can be granted a permanent resident visa. 

Australia allows visas for common law spouses including same sex spouses and interdependent partners.

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143)

This visa allows parents of an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, live indefinitely in Australia, enjoy the benefits of the Medicare health system, work and study in Australia.

The applicant needs to be the lawful parent of a child who has been living in Australia for a minimum of 2 years before the application is lodged. This visa is often sponsored by the child, meaning the child commits to providing accommodation and financial assistance for the parent. 

Child Visa (Subclass 101)
A child from overseas who is a biological, adopted or step-child of an Australian citizen or permanent resident is able to apply for a Child Visa (Subclass 101). This visa allows the child who is either under the age of 18, a full time student  between the ages of 18-25, or a child 18 or older but dependant of their parents due to a disability work and study in Australia, travel in and out of Australia freely, enrol in Medicare to receive health scheme benefits.
There are other child visas that have very specific requirements such as adopted overseas children or an orphan relative. 
For more information see: Child Migration Booklet

Remaining Relative Visa (Subclass 835)

This visa applies to an applicant’s only remaining immediate family members reside in Australia. The relatives must be permanent residents, or Australian citizens and must commit to providing financial support and accommodation for the applicant.

Aged Dependent Relative Visa (Subclass 114) 
This visa is suitable for an elderly person who relies on a relative in Australia for all or most of their living costs and allows the holder to live in Australia indefinitely. 
Applicant must be without a partner, and meet certain age and health requirements. 

Carer Visa (Subclass 116) 
This visa is suitable for an Applicant that needs to care for an Australian relative or member of their family unit, who has a medical condition. You must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, or an Australian permanent resident for a minimum of 2 years. Sponsors are obligated to provide financial assistance and accommodation for the carer.

For an initial consultation contact us


Please complete your full details below and we will contact you as soon as possible to provide you with a professional and courteous response.

עמוד הפייסבוק של קנגורו שירותי הגירה עמוד הגוגל+ של קנגורו שירותי הגירה הפרופיל של עו”ד ליסה סגלוב בלינקדין