Student Visa

Student Visa to the USA

The USA attracts many foreign nationals to its diverse and prestigious institutions of learning.

The following options for student visas are available:

  1. The Academic Student Visa-F1 visa.
  2. The Non-Academic Studies/Vocational Studies Student Visa-M1 visa.
  3. The Exchange Student Visa-J visa.

(a) The Academic Student Visa – F1 visa

This visa is available to an applicant seeking to enter the USA for the purpose of engaging in full-time academic studies as a full-time student. The visa extends to persons enrolled at the elementary school level through to the postgraduate and doctorate level of university education.

Before applying for this visa, the applicant must have been accepted by an approved educational institution in the USA and the applicant must be enrolled in a program or a course of study which culminates in a degree, diploma or certificate.

The applicant needs to provide that he/she has sufficient funds to pay for the educational studies as well as his/her maintenance for the duration of the studies. The funds must be currently available and not based in speculation of funding. In addition, the applicant is required to prove that he/she has only a temporary intention of staying in the USA and that he/she has strong ties to his/her home country.

This type of visa lasts for the duration of the academic studies plus an additional 60 days. The visa bearer may enter the USA up to 30 days before the commencement of his/her studies. If he/she intends to engage in another course of study after the completion of the current course of studies, then he/she must apply for an extension of the visa.

(b) The Non-Academic Studies/Vocational Studies Student Visa – M1 visa

The M-1 visa is issued to students who intend to engage in a course of study that is not principally academic in nature, for example: health care technician, dental hygienist, machinist and so on. In order for the applicant to receive this visa, the student must be accepted by an established and recognized non-academic institution.

The duration of the visa allows the student to remain in the USA for the required length of the course of study plus an additional 30 days or for one year, whichever is less. In other words, the visa holder can NOT remain in the USA for more than one year.



(cThe Exchange Student visa – J visa

This visa allows for applicants who are students pursuing graduate and post graduate studies, visiting scholars and medical doctors to undergo training in the USA.

J visa holders may work only if the employment is part of the course of study or if the employment has been approved in advance by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Spouses and dependents of student visa holders may acquire derivative visas (F-2 or M-2 visas). They may also engage in a course of study.


You may be eligible for a number of different visa categories. Each visa category has different requirements and obligations so that it is best to seek professional advice in order to select the visa most beneficial and suitable to your circumstances.

Kangaroo Migration Services is a company that has for many years dealt with and continues to deal with immigration and the obtaining of all types of visas (short term and long term) to the USA.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss with our representative the options available to you and/or to complete our questionnaire and send it to us.

Learn more