Federal Skilled Migration

The Express Entry Migration Programs to Canada

The Express Entry programs allow the applicant and the family of the skilled worker, namely the spouse or the common-law partner and their dependent children to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents.

There are three Express Entry programs:

(1) The Federal Skilled Workers Program.
(2) The Federal Skilled Trades Program.
(3) The Canadian Experience Program.

Provinces and territories also recruit applicants for the Express Entry pool through the Provincial Nominee program (PNP) to meet the needs of the local labor market.

(1) The Federal Skilled Workers Program

This program allows for a skilled immigrant who has obtained the required qualifications and skills in his/her field, some work experience in his/her occupation, a sound knowledge of English or French and other abilities to submit an Expression of Interest Profile to the Express Entry Pool. The profiles of the applicants in the pool are ranked under a Comprehensive Ranking System. Applicants who then receive an invitation must submit a full application within 60 days.
To qualify for admission to the Express Entry Pool as a Federal Skilled Worker, an applicant must meet the following conditions:

(a) has one of the eligible occupations on the occupation list – see section on Canada: Current Occupations for Immigration.

(b) worked for 12 months continuously in full-time paid employment or the equivalent in part time employment within the previous 10 years in his/her occupation.

(c) scored sufficient points in the six selection factors to meet the required points needed for selection.

The six selection factors are:

(i) English or French language ability

A visa applicant is required to take an approved language test in French or English (or both languages). A minimum score equal to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 must be obtained in all sections of the test. For more information see: Language requirements — Skilled immigrants (Express Entry).

For more information, see:


(ii) Educational Qualifications

A visa applicant is awarded the following points for his/her education:

Any educational qualification granted outside Canada must be accredited by an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency in Canada before submitting an application to the Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry program.

(iii) Work Experience

A visa applicant can claim the following points are awarded for professional full time work experience (thirty hours per week) or the equivalent amount of part-time work.


(iv)  Age 

A visa applicant can claim the following points based on his/her age as at the date the application is received.


(v) Arranged Employment in Canada

A visa applicant can claim points for a full-time job offer in his/her occupation provided that the job offer is for no less than 12 months, offered by a Canadian employer and the job offer must be valid at the date of his/her application.

(vi)  Adaptability

A visa applicant can claim points for any one of the following:

• His/her spouse’s/partner’s English or French language ability based on the results of an approved English or French language speaking test.

• Past study of at least two academic years at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada by the visa applicant and/or his/her spouse/partner.

• Past work experience of at least 12 months in Canada by the visa applicant and/or his/her spouse/partner.

• Close relatives in Canada that are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

(2) The Federal Skilled Trades Program

This program is for applicants who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

To be eligible, the applicant must:

(i) plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

(ii) meet the required level of English or French by obtaining a level of CLB7 in English or NCLC7 in French.

(iii) meet the job requirements for that particular Federal Skills Trade.

(iv) have an offer of full-time employment for at least one year OR a certificate of qualification in his/her skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territory or federal authority.

Skilled trades that are currently eligible for the Federal Skills Trades Program are organized under the following groups:

  • Industrial, electrical and construction workers.
  • Maintenance and equipment operation workers.
  • Supervisors and technical workers in natural resources, agriculture, and related production.
  • Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervision and central control operators.
  • Chefs and cooks.
  • Butchers and bakers.

(3) Canadian Experience Program 

To apply under the Canadian Experience Class, the applicant must have:

(i) at least 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before applying in either a managerial or professional or technically skilled position.

(ii) gained his/her work experience in Canada with the proper authorization.

(iii) met the English or French language ability requirements.

(iv) plan to live outside of Quebec.

Self-employment and work experience gained while being a full-time student does not count under the Canadian Experience Class.

Proof of Funds 

Proof of Funds is required for the Federal Skilled Worker program and the Federal Skilled Trades Program. The applicant must be able to prove that he/she has enough money to support himself/herself and his/her family for a period of six months after arriving in Canada.

The current amounts required for proof of funds are:

Number of family membersFund required in (Canadian dollars)
If more than 7 people, for each additional family member3,706


You may be eligible for a number of different visa categories. Each visa category has different requirements and obligations so that it is best to seek professional advice in order to select the visa most beneficial and suitable to your circumstances.

Kangaroo Migration Services is a company that has for many years dealt with and continues to deal with immigration and the obtaining of all types of visas (short term and long term) to Canada.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss with our representative the options available to you and/or to complete our questionnaire and send it to us.

Learn more