Marriage and Family Visa

There are a number of types of visas available to applicants who are sponsored by close relatives who are permanent residents or citizens of Australia and who permanently reside in Australia.

i. Partner Visa (subclass 820 and 801)

A spouse, future spouse or common law spouse is able to apply for a visa that is sponsored by the partner of the Applicant who must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident that resides in Australia permanently. The visa is conditional on the sponsorship by the spouse/common law interdependent partner/future spouse of the Applicant.

The Applicant is required to prove that the relationship between himself/herself and his/her spouse/finance/common law interdependent partner is genuine and relevant documentation must be submitted with the visa application to substantiate the relationship. A common law relationship is generally defined as a relationship where the couple have resided together “as a couple” for a period of at least 12 months.

It should be noted that this visa applies to opposite sex marriage, civil unions and domestic partnerships as well as same sex marriages, civil unions and domestic partnerships.

A permanent partner visa (subclass 801) will be granted to the holder of a spouse or interdependent visa after a period of two years in the event that the relationship is ongoing.

ii. Parent Migration 

There are several types of parent visas to Australia.

A basic requirement of the parent visa is that the applicant must have the majority of his/her children permanent and physically residing in Australia

(a) Parent Visa (subclass 103) 

This visa had limited places each year. The current waiting period is 30 years.

(b) Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143)

This is a permanent resident visa and allows for the faster processing of parent visas. This visa has the same basic requirement mentioned above, in addition to a charge of A$19,750 per applicant for a permanent visa as well as the depositing of an assurance of support bond of $10,000 for the principal applicant and A$4000 for a spouse.



(c) Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 173)

An applicant can apply for a 2 year temporary visa that has a charge of A$31.670 per applicant paid in 2 parts and the Applicant can after 2 years apply for a permanent residency visa.

iii. Child Migration (subclass 102 and 802)

A child from overseas who is a biological child, adopted child or step-child of an Australian citizen or permanent resident is able to apply for a Child Visa (subclass 101 and 802). There are other child visas that have very specific requirements such as Adopted Overseas Child Visa (subclass 102) or an Orphan Relative Visa (subclass 117 and 837).

iv. Reunification of Family Visa (subclass 835)

This visa applies to an applicant who wishes to join his immediate family, namely his/her only close relatives. The close relatives must be residing in Australia.

v. Aged Dependent Relative Visa (subclass 114)

This visa is suitable for an elderly person who relies on a relative in Australia for all or most of their living costs.

vi. Carer Visa (subclass 836) 

This visa is suitable for an applicant that needs to care for an Australian relative or member of their family unit, who has a medical condition.


You may be eligible for a number of different visa categories and each has different requirements and obligations so that it is best to seek professional advice in order to select the visa most beneficial to you and suitable to your circumstances

Kangaroo Migration Services is a company that has for many years dealt with and continues to deal with immigration and the obtaining of all types of visas (short term and long term) to Australia.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss with our representative the options available to you and/or to complete our questionnaire and send it to us.

Learn more