Work Visa

Work visas enable the Applicant to work on a long-term basis or a temporary basis in Australia.


There are various options for obtaining long term visas that include but are not limited to the following visa options:


This temporary visa allows employers in Australia to sponsor approved skilled workers for the purpose of employment in Australia. The Applicant must have an occupation that is in demand in the Australian labor market and have two years of vocational experience. This visa is issued for up to four years and can be renewed. In accordance with the terms of this visa, the visa holder may not change employment without first receiving the approval of the Department of Home Affairs.

Any applicants for this visa is required to show that he/she is proficient in English. Proof of English proficiency is shown by obtaining a score of 6 in each of the four test components in the IELTS test or the equivalent grade in one of the other four recognized English language tests. In occupations that require the visa holder to obtain an Australian license, the Applicant may need to demonstrate a higher level of English language proficiency.

There are a few exceptions to this rule which include: an employee of an overseas business who is coming to Australia for a work for the company and the position has guaranteed a  minimum gross salary of $AUD 96,400 based on a 37.5 hour week; an applicant who has completed at least 5 years of continuous study and/or tertiary education at an institution where the instruction was conducted in English; and in the event that the first language of an applicant is English and he/she is a passport holder from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the USA.


There are 3 categories of Temporary Skill Shortage visas:

  1. The Short term Stream Visa.
  2. The Medium term Stream Visa.
  3. Labor Agreements Stream Visa.


  1. The Short term Stream Visa

This visa category allows an employer to sponsor an Applicant on a temporary basis ONLY in an occupation on the Short term Skilled Occupation List. This visa can be used to fill positions for a maximum of two years (or four years if an International Trade Obligation applies).

  1. The Medium term Stream Visa

This visa category allows an employer to sponsor an overseas skilled worker for a period of up to four years in an occupation listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List or on the Regional Occupation List.



  1. Labor Agreements Stream Visa

Formal arrangements exist whereby an Australian industry group or employer is able to recruit a specified number of skilled workers on a temporary or permanent basis for a number of years.



Employers in Australia can sponsor skilled workers to remain in Australia on a permanent basis through the Employer Nomination Scheme Visa (subclass 186). This visa is a permanent resident visa. One can apply for this visa from the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) if he/she has completed three out of four years of work experience in Australia, or if your employer directly sponsors you (in this instance no work experience in Australia is necessary) or if your employer has a Labor Agreement with the Department of Home Affairs.

The Applicant needs to be under the age of 45 to apply for this visa and must met the English language requirements.



This visa allows a skilled worker to remain in Australia on a permanent basis and work in a regional area. The Applicant must be under 45 years of age and meet the English language requirements.




Australia has also created the opportunity for tourists/visitors between the ages of 18-30 to obtain a Holiday Temporary Work Visa in certain circumstances. Working Holiday visas are available to applicants from specific countries and are issued for a period of 12 months during which the Applicant is able to remain in Australia and work in various types of employment provided that he/she does not work for the same employer for a period of more than 3 months. In limited circumstances, the Holiday Working Visa can be extended for a further year.

There are currently 500 Holiday Working Visas granted to Israeli passport holders per year.


This visa is for people who want to travel to Australia to undertake short-term, highly specialized non-ongoing work. Generally, this visa is granted for 3-6 months. In order to obtain this visa, the Applicant needs to be invited by the organization he/she will be working for. The visa applicant must have specialist skills and knowledge or experience that is needed but can’t be found in Australia. This visa can’t be renewed.


This visa allows the visa holder to remain in Australia for the period that aligns with the activities that he/she has been approved to undertake.

The maximum stay periods allowed are:

  • Invited participant activity type – up to three months
  • Australian Government endorsed event activity type – up to four years
  • Any other activity type – up to two years

Note: For some activity types such as superyacht crew members and special program participants, the stay period is usually no more than 12 months.

This visa allows the visa holder to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:

  • work in the entertainment industry.
  • participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organization.
  • participate or observe in an Australian research project.
  • work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement.
  • participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs.
  • participate in a special program approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits
  • do full-time religious work.
  • be employed as a superyacht crew member.
  • do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
  • participate in a government endorsed event.

In most cases, 408 visa holders are not able to extend their stay in Australia beyond four years.



This visa allows the applicant to take part in workplace-based training to enhance his/her skills in his/her current occupation, area of tertiary study, field of expertise and/or to participate in a professional development training program in Australia.

This visa is not appropriate for persons whose sole intention is to work.

To be eligible for this visa, the applicant must be nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency) or be invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency) and have an occupation specified on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List or on the Regional Occupation List or on the Short term Skilled Occupation List.

The visa applicant must be 18 years old and have at least one year of work experience in his/her nominated occupation, a functional level of English and sufficient funds to meet the financial requirements if needed.

This visa is valid for a two-year period.


You may be eligible for a number of different visa categories and each has different requirements and obligations so that it is best to seek professional advice in order to select the visa most beneficial to you and suitable to your circumstances.

Kangaroo Migration Services is a company that has for many years dealt with and continues to deal with work visas (short term and long term) to Australia.

Please feel free to discuss your available options with our representative and/or to complete our questionnaire.

Learn more