Student Visa

Student Visa (subclass 500)

Australia is a great place to study, with over 1,100 institutions and 22,000 courses, 7 out of the 100 top universities in the world and 5 out of the 30 top student cities in the world, therefore it is understandable that Australia has been ranked as the 3rd most popular international student destination.

Student visas are issued to an Applicant who intends to study in Australia at the primary, secondary, tertiary, post graduate, vocational and training levels. Accordingly, the different categories of student visas depend on the educational level which the Applicant is applying to study.

A student visa allows the Applicant to study in Australia and enables eligible dependent family members of the Applicant to accompany him/her to Australia during this period. The spouse of the Applicant is able to study in Australia for up to twelve weeks only. If the spouse of the Applicant wants to study for more than the twelve week period allocated, then the spouse will need to apply for his/her own student visa.

To be eligible for a student visa, the Applicant must be accepted into an institution and course recognised by the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

Depending on the requirements of entry of the individual course the Applicant intends to study, the Applicant may be required to prove his/her English language ability by means of furnishing the results of an International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) examination or one of the other accepted English language tests.

A student visa applicant must be able to prove that he/she has sufficient funds for the payment of the first year of tuition, living expenses in Australia (as determined by the Department of Home Affairs) and sufficient funds for a return airfare.  This proof must be submitted as part of the documentation when applying for a student visa.

Student visas are granted with a “No Work” condition. However, the holder of a student visa and his/her dependent family members can apply for permission to work after the student visa holder has commenced his/her studies in Australia. Student visa holders can work up to 24 hours per week during the academic term and full time during student vacation periods.

Student visas are only valid for the duration of the studies of the Applicant. Separate arrangements can be made by the holder of a student visa to remain in Australia until after his/her graduation ceremony.

In some cases, the student visa holder graduate is able to apply for a work visa or a permanent residency (immigration) visa upon completion of his/her studies.

Student visas cover school studies from the age of 6 to university and include studies for intensive English language courses.



You may be eligible for a number of different visa categories and each has different requirements and obligations so that it is best to seek professional advice in order to select the visa most beneficial to you and suitable to your circumstances.

Kangaroo Migration Services is a company that has for many years dealt with and continues to deal with student visas.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss your available options and/or to complete our questionnaire and send it to us.

Learn more